Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What can we learn from Irene?

One thing that has struck me the past couple of days is how much we, as a general rule, have this sense of entitlement...I know that there are some real saints out there who only ever think of others, but for most of us, there is this instinct to look out for number one. I found myself getting annoyed when I saw that some people had gotten their power back and I hadn't. Or, worse yet, hadn't ever lost power. Then, I got mad at the power company...As if they had purposefully chosen not to restore my power. After all, my husband and my dad BOTH work for Dominion! Don't we have some pull somewhere? I lose sight of the fact that the men working on those lines all day and night have families that would rather have them at home with them.
Irene has also exposed the princess living inside of me...Having to heat Cana's milk on a grill?! Having to sweat?! The nerve! The first couple of hours are a little fun...It is kind of like camping...So, I channel my inner Juliette Gordon Low and start doing things like hand washing dishes and opening a few windows to get some air. Soon, the novelty of it all wears off and I realize that this is certainly not my thing. But why not? I feel like there has been a dramatic shift over the years in what we consider to be basic necessities. The basics are food, clothes, and shelter. By the world's standards, having these things means you are pretty well off. I have now added electricity to my list of necessities. We, in America, have a certain level of comfort that we are willing be happy about. For me, that comfort level doesn't include sweat and cold showers...Say it with me everyone..."selfish!" I mustn't forget that what I consider "roughing it" is what most people have to do every single day just to survive.
Unfortunately, my children have become products of their upbringing...Leah kept asking about watching a movie or playing a game on the computer. You really start to realize how much you depend on something when you don't have it. It is all too easy to plop the kids down in front of the television and go about my day. I had to actually be creative to keep my kids entertained the past few days.
Thankfully, our power has been restored. I definitely appreciate what I have more today than I did yesterday. Instead of watching a movie, maybe we will go outside and play today. You better believe I've got a load of dishes in the dishwasher and laundry in the washer and dryer. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. Kira,
    You are now a blogger inspiration to me as well. I so agree with the post - I didn't get angry per say but I did want my power!!!

    ReplyDelete